Monday, December 10, 2012

Victory in Defeat

Low crime count, minimal traffic jam, numbered people in malls, superb station ratings and raining advertisements- these are only few scenarios in the Philippines each time Manny Pacquiao has a boxing fight and I must say, yesterday is not any different except that he is fighting for the fourth time against Juan Manuel Marquez.


I am certain that they both had their fair share of hard core training. I even heard Coach Roach giving Pacquiao a thousand dollars for every man he will knocked out during his sparring.  Well, I heard he pound four. Whoa! On the other hand, Marquez got into his perfect shape in his secret garden. Marquez has been quiet in his strategies while Pacquiao’s trainings were open book since day one.

As all of you may know,  the fight ended quite unexpected. The last second wicked right hook of Marquez on the sixth round has kicked Pacquiao off the canvas. It made the Filipinos shocked and Jinky, his wife was terrified on the ringside. It was unexpected. The last time Pacquiao was knocked out was more than a decade ago and he has been the undisputed boxing champion of the world for quite sometime now. Well, not until yesterday.

The social media was flooded by reactions- both bashers and cheerleaders. I am saddened with how the Filipino people reacted negatively. It is as if Manny is as good as his last fight. All the pride he brought to the country throughout the years were swiftly unremembered. He was being crucified by his Christianity; he is getting old; he is over confident; he shouldn’t win because he has all the money in the world; and a lot more words of discouragement, but, of course, all the persecution were anticipated. Indeed, you cannot please everyone. Nevertheless,  I can’t be any happier for the cheerleaders on the other hand. I am sure that their words are genuine and are relief to massive muscle pains to Pacquiao. Certainly, it was uplifting to his morale.

This morning I got to read his statement in Yahoo News, and I quote "First and foremost I would like to thank God for keeping Juan Manuel Marquez and me safe during our fight. I want to congratulate Juan Manuel. I have no excuses. It was a good fight and he deserved the victory. I think boxing fans who watched us were winners too."


I am blissful to see with how the Lord is moving in Pacquiao’s life. The time he chose to live the right path is just but music to my ears. I am sure he will make a difference in the world of sports just like how Jerry Lin has affected his collagues in NBA. Not to set aside the people he can save from the limelight of show business too. I pray that his faith will not be shaken by this defeat for victory is tested in defeats too. After all, it is not the title nor the belt, but the crown of eternal life Christ has won for us by His victory on the cross. I pray that God will continue to use Pacquiao by leading others to victory in Christ too.

Allow me to end this post by my favorite scripture in the bible: "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus"- 1 Thessalonians 5:18

P.S.
I love it too when Gary V tweeted " Marquez won, but there will be other bigger challenges you will overcome outside the ring, and it will prove that you aren't just a boxing champ but a real winner for the God who still has so much more victories for you in all aspects of your life.  I stand with u my bro. This loss doesn't define who and what u are in the eyes of God”

No comments:

Post a Comment