Friday, April 3, 2015

Mount Pulag

It was not too long ago when I first trek a mountain in Anwangin, Zambales. With my gasping, mood swings and scarcely talking temper close to summit because of an irritating tiredness of a supposed stroll, I never thought I would ever trek again.

But then here I am, almost fresh from a straight nine hours flight from Dubai (from a manic duty at work and barely had sleep), prepared my bag and went straight to Baguio with my good friend, Rose eight hours from landing to catch the famous sea of clouds in Mount Pulag.

We reached Baguio at 6am then transferred to a jeepney to bring us to Benguet- where Pulag is. We passed by Ambuklad Dam before heading to DENR office for some protocol briefing. Apparently, station 2 was full that day from earlier campers, hence, we can no longer pitch our tent at night and gaze at the stars while we wait dawn and start the trek. While I loved the stars, I am a thankful though to past the night on a local house because one, they have comfortable beds to get good four hours sleep, second, the warmth is way greater than what an open space camp has to offer and lastly, you can make new friends with your little time with your group mates in the house.



The cold was extreme when we were about to begin the trek at midnight and being stationary will not help at all. With our gears and minions look (head lamp on), we started the trek via Ambangeg trail from the Ranger Station. We are 24 people in the group excluding our three local guides sited in the head, middle and tail to make sure no one will be left behind.


The initial trail was easy but the next ones are easier said than done. They were steep and at times, slippery. The gasping and spasms had started and thoughts of quitting were being entertained several times. I was left behind. Many times. Even found myself alone at times into the woods. The trail were narrow and are cliffs most of the time, if not all. Plus they are rocky. Any wrong pace can lead you to danger (twisted foot or falling off the cliff)

I had to stop multiple times to catch my breath as was not forcing thyself too much- taking care of my glucose level. I’m sure passing out is the last thing you want to end up on cliffs. Lol. I enjoyed the solitary moments though for they were also the times I had my conversations with God. Boasting the strength I have in Christ Jesus and the hope in my heart to finish the race, even despite the several stops and doubts.

But His grace is indeed sufficient. I reached the summit an hour or so later than my friend, which concludes all the more the number of my stop overs. Haha! Nevertheless, I still reached and finished the race. And still even a little early for the sunrise and sea of clouds. 


The cold was more apparent on the summit that we have to hide ourselves on the tall grasses. My fingers were numb hardly clicking my shutter. Haha. They said, it was only 10 degrees at that time but the wind were strong making it colder. I really thought it was freezing point. Lol! (Friendly advice though- do not underestimate the cold in Pulag!)

The view on the summit is Pulag’s crowning glory and reward. It was breathtaking and magnificent. Staring at the beauty of endless mountains panorama and the jaw dropping sea of clouds- It was beyond words. I just know in my heart that it is only God who can create such perfection. What a joy to see all these.



But as any journey would end, so is this experience. We went down using the same trail but with a more joyful heart after reaching the summit and seeing the sea of clouds. In fact more grateful with the bright of sun highlighting the beauty of the trail you once went. Just in complete awe wherever side I turn.


After all, I still want to go back and trek maybe through a more complicated trail. Maybe when I am engaged. They say, you can see the character of your partner when on Akiki Trail. The hardest of all- maybe because cursing is more tempting there. Lol.

Until the next trek and/or new summit. Gracias.

No comments:

Post a Comment